Friday, June 30, 2006

Hold On



i know ezarchive griping is so yesterday, but i'd like to just mention it is not ezarchive, it is petulantlydifficultarchive.

but i shall move on. and i'm in the process of soothing my soul with these two songs. they're magic, i swear. they belong to the category of songs that i never tire of. you know the ones.

they are in direct opposition to those songs that once did it for you but upon later inspection make you feel as if you have not a single ounce of taste. and that's not even the worst part of it for me. these types of songs from my past make me feel sad and uneasy, kind of like realizing that your significant other, who once delighted, stimulated and soothed you is now a big sloppy mess. you wonder, was this song/significant other always like this? has he changed? have i? the problem is, you can always say that the significant other has changed and that he once was in fact an excellent choice of partner. but, with a song, unless it is a remix, does not change. you are forced to realize that you were once the type of person that SOMEHOW LIKED THIS HORRIFIC TRACK. i bet you're hoping i'll give you an example of one of these songs. i won't. i will only share the ones that still do it for me. isn't that what this is all about?

so, like i said. these two songs soothe me when i need it. i hope they do it for you too. the first is the lovely patty griffin and Rain, from 1,000 kisses. they lyrics are poetry but i swear, even if you didn't understand a word of english, this song has the power to haunt. the second is the incomparable, love him or hate him Tom Waits. Hold On, from Mule Variations. While I was struggling with petuantlydifficultarchive, Tom was gruffly reminding me to hold on. and i did, Tom, i did. and i will, for you. thanks to you and patty for your tuneful musings.

Rain

Hold On

7 Comments:

Blogger FiL said...

Yay! Galateaa's first music post!! Mademoiselle, you have arrived.

They are indeed fine tracks - told you they'd be! I do like Tom Waits - I'm definitely having one of his tracks played at my funeral (which won't be until I'm very old and wrinkly, if the universe unfolds as I hope it will). 'Hold On' is lovely.

The links do work, but it seems a bit roundabout to go via the ezarchive blog function. Was this intentional? If you like, I'm happy to share with you how I link directly to my ezarchive files. If not, I'll keep quiet and enjoy what you give us how you give it to us!

In other news, I love the pic! A dessicated tendril holding onto a trellis for support - how appropriate!

Cheers,
FiL

3:17 AM  
Blogger galateaa said...

thank you! and yes, please do let me know the non-roundabout way to link to the files.

7:37 AM  
Blogger FiL said...

Will do - promise. Life has become very hectic round here. I'll post an instructional comment after the weekend.

Cheers,
FiL

5:44 AM  
Blogger FiL said...

Oh galateaa, I'm so sorry to have left you hanging. But life got hectic. So, here I am, a week late and with apologies in hand...

Right, to link to the files:

1) Have two browser windows open, one with your ezarchive account, one with Blogger open at your draft blog post in compose mode.

2) In Blogger, highlight the words you want to turn into your hyperlink (e.g. La Macarena).
Then click on the wee green globe thing next to the T button. A popup window should appearlabelled "Hyperlink."

3) Switch to the ezarchive browser. Go to your archive, locate the mp3 you've uploaded that you want to link to, then double click it. Full details of the file should appear. Scroll down until you get to the URL (between "Album" and "Resolution"). Then right click the url itself (which should look something like "http://www.ezarchive.com/galateaa/x57895gu/La Macarena.mp3") and select "Copy Shortcut."

4) Return to the Blogger browser and in the Hyperlink popup box delete the "http://" in the box next to "URL." Right clic on the box, then select "Paste." The URL from ezarchive should now be in the box. Then click the OK button on the pop up.

And there you have it! Once you publish the blog, the link should appear in the post and clicking it should automatically download the track. Just pleae promise me you won't post La Macarena...

If any of this is unclear or doesn't work, do drop me a mail at lefil@pobox.com & I'll see what I can do.

Do keep at it - it may seem slow to take off, but take off it will...

FiL

3:08 AM  
Blogger galateaa said...

thank you fil! i did it. i'm a blogger!

9:51 PM  
Blogger A. B. Chairiet said...

Hi Gala',

Good morning! I read about you and your blog over at FiL's place, and his mentioning of how we should come and check you out, so I did. :)

I like the whole dancing in the bedroom idea...who needs to go clubbing when you can just stay home? ;)

I wish you lots of luck, and it's very nice to meet you. You're lovely. And so is your blog.

...

Happy Thursday,
~ Ash

8:17 AM  
Blogger galateaa said...

hey ash, thanks for saying i'm lovely. compliments make me so darn happy. and yes, sometimes it is just better to be your own dj. stay tuned, i hope that bedroom discotecque will become a regular feature on tiwill.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home